Friday, October 10, 2008

Last week's news

Just pretend that this blog post was posted earlier this week or even the end of last week. Because it all happened last week, September 29 - October 5. I wanted to blog about it earlier in the week but I had to catch up on my housework before I started catching up on my blog work!

Nanny

Late last Monday night, September 29, my mom called me and told me that they had taken my grandmother, Nanny, to the hospital with congestive heart failure. Nanny was very very sick and they weren't sure if she was going to make it through the night. The doctors were able to get the fluid off her lungs and heart and she slowly started to get better. We haven't been home in a while so I had not seen Nanny since my cousin's wedding in June. So Tuesday the boys and I load up in the van and make a trip to Arkansas to see Nanny in the hospital and visit my folks for a couple of days. When we got there she was in the ICU and the boys were not allowed to go back to see her. Nanny was very disappointed that she could not see the boys. But on Wednesday, she was moved to a regular room so we headed back up to the hospital after we did our school work. She was tickled to get to see them. I forgot my camera so I didn't get to take any pictures.

Nanny is doing some better. She got out of the hospital Sunday the 5th. Back in March, around the time that Seth came home from the hospital, Nanny fell and broke her hip. She just has not been the same since. Next Sunday, October 19, she will turn 87. We are planning a big family to get together for her. It should be fun. Maybe I want forget my camera this time. But if I do, my blog queen sister will document the event!!


Enjoying Fall and the letter Pp

Fall and spring are always such welcome sites. They each have things that I love about the season. The last couple of weeks, you could tell that fall was in the air in east Texas. To me that means jeans and long sleeves, trees turning those beautiful fall colors, soups, and fall foods - soup, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes.

I had signed up to take breakfast to our Bible Fellowship group the first Sunday in October. I decided I was going to make some thing out of pumpkin and/or sweet potatoes for breakfast. I found a recipe for pumpkin apple dip on a blog of one of my sister's friends. So last Friday morning, I went to the Peterson's blog to find the pumpkin dip recipe and she had a new intriguing post on Romance in the Seasons. I read the post and thought that is a good idea. I thought to myself that after being gone all week long, I would have to wait another day to surprise Kevin with a picnic and really didn't give it another thought.

Later that morning, Eli and I were working on his school work. His letter last week was Pp. In one of the activities he had to look at the pictures and decided what letter each word begun with. Well if one of the pictures wasn't a picture of a picnic, I am not sitting here typing. I just couldn't get away from the idea of having a picnic. So I made a call to the clinic to see when they thought Kevin would be freed up for lunch. So I kicked it into high gear, made a picnic lunch for me and the boys and we headed to Hughes Springs Veterinary Clinic to surprise Kevin with a fall picnic and to celebrate the letter Pp.

We went to Daingerfield State Park and enjoyed a picnic at a park under the pine trees eating on paper plates!


Kevin pointing out ants and termites to the boys.


Priceline.com Rocks!

Kevin had to get a few hours of continuing education at a veterinary conference in Dallas on Saturday. Our original plans were to make it just a day trip. But at 8:30 pm on Friday night, the plans started to change. Kevin just suggested that I see what kind of price we could get a room for Saturday night. So I went to priceline.com and did the name your own price option. We wanted cheap so we put in $50 bid for a four star hotel in the downtown area of Dallas on our first bid. No big surprise, the bid was rejected. So I tried again at $56 for a 3 1/2 star hotel in the same area. Our bid was excepted. For $56 plus tax (which came out ot be $70) we had a night at the 4 star Hyatt Regency Hotel in Downtown Dallas! This was one of the three conference hotels. If we had of booked a room there through the convention, we would have paid $165 a night plus the 15% tax. We saved over a hundred dollars!! To bad we could not priceline parking and tips also!!

While in Dallas, the boys and I went to Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall. I found some pretty good bargins at Children's Place. I didn't get to go to all the stores that I want due to time but mainly due to children melt downs. Kevin went to his classes that morning and afternoon. Saturday evening we went to the LSU SVM reunion. Then a group from his vet school class went out to eat. We had a good time catching up with some of the gang.

So now you see why I had to catch up on my housework. Hope you all have a good weekend!

1 comment:

katyhoyt1981 said...

I used to audit a catfish processing plant (GAF Fisheries) in Hughes Springs when I was at Polk. Neat place if you can ever wiggle a tour. I didn't realize Kevin worked over there or I would have swung by and shown his boss/colleges/staff what upstanding friends he has.

Nate