Friday, April 2, 2010

Spoke too soon

I spoke too soon.

After I posted the blog post on Seth sleeping in this new bed, we started having trouble again. Take for instance last night/this morning.

At 4:30 AM, I heard Seth squealing. At first, I thought it was a dream. But after a couple of squeals, I realized it was REAL life. The little booger was in Eli and Luke's room trying to wake them up. I walked in the room, it was pitch dark and called him. He giggled and walked to me. I started taking him back to his room and heard voices. The TV was on. I turned it off last night before I went to bed. Seth had walked in there and turned it on before venturing into his brother's room. I guess he thinks he might need to order some infomercial gadgets! I put him in bed with us after turning off the tv and finding a pacie and his dog. For the next hour and a half, I wrestled with him trying to get him to go to sleep and stay asleep.

A couple of nights before, Kevin woke up to let Newt, our dog, out. He said Seth was in the living room playing Eli's leapster. He put him back to bed and Seth stayed there.

So what do we do? Any suggestions from the three people that read this blog? Dr. D told me at Seth's 2 year old well visit, that his 2 1/2 year old is still in a crib. They have had trouble with him climbing out. But they found a crib tent to put over the crib to keep him safely in the crib. I wonder if they make such a thing for toddler beds? I am going to google it right now!

4 comments:

David & Natasha said...

We had problems with Drew too. Here's what we did...so far so good, but I'm not sure how long it will last. We put his crib back together and put him back in it for about 2 weeks (I know that is probably not an option for you!). After the 2 weeks, I got an outlet timer at the store and plugged a nightlight into it. We told Drew if the light was on he had to stay in bed, when it turned off he could get out. We have it set for nighttime and nap and he gets a "cookie" (a 1/2 graham cracker) if he stays in bed until the light turns off. That's worked for about 2 weeks. He gets out in the morning, comes running to me and says "lights off, lights off!" It hasn't stopped him getting out of bed completely, but mostly. I don't know....like I said, so far so good.

Bryan, Amanda, Brayden and Adalyn LaCaze said...

I was blessed! Both of my kids were really easy. They both try to "sneak" into our bed everyonce in a while but for the most part they to great. On our rough nights we just take them straight back to bed without saying a word. (That is really hard on Bryan!) Sometimes we have to make a few trips but they get the picture. Good Luck!

Mary Ellen said...

I'm trying to think back that far-hmm! Ethan never went to bed very well (still doesn't) and from day 1, Devon went to bed easily. I don't remember either of our boys intentionally getting out of bed in the middle of the night. Both boys did a bit of sleepwalking, so we had to make sure we had a gate at the top of our stairs. I'm not sure what to tell you. Friends of ours use a technique similar to what David & Natasha wrote. You may not get up for the day (or get us up) until ______. (He's now 12, but they still use the you can't get up/us up until 6 a.m. rule.) Good Luck!!

Donita said...

Hey,
It looks like 4 people read this blog because 3 have already commented!! HaHa! I wish I knew what to tell you but I never had that problem. Hope things go better soon. Love you, Donita