Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of School

Whether I like it or not, my children are growing up. Seth is starting to laugh out loud, Luke is learning to dress himself (I wish I could report he was using the potty but not yet), and Eli has started kindergarten.

About two years ago, on the way home from Dallas, I asked Kevin about putting Eli on the pre K at our church's Child Development Center. Our two hour drive home became a two hour argument home. He was against enrolling him in preschool and said that he would like to see me homeschool. I wanted to enroll him in preschool and was NOT going to homeschool our children. I was absolutely apposed to the idea. I knew we would probably have another baby by the time he went to school and I wasn't going to be weird and homeschool. The school issue became a very touchy subject for Kevin and I. We both wanted different things. I knew that we both needed to be on the same page dealing with the our childrens' education. I begin to pray that the Lord would either change my heart or change Kevin's. As time went by, the subject started getting a little easier to talk about. We decided to explore public, private, and homeschooling to make our decision. Looking at our finances we knew private school was out. So that left public and homeschooling. When we moved in January, we moved to a different school district that we knew nothing about. I had heard a lot of negative about Pittsburg High School but most said that the elementary was fine. We intended to visit the school in the spring but we spent our spring in the hospital or confined at home. We did get to visit a homeschool co-op meeting in Longview. But the meeting wasn't the best meeting to attend because it was bookfair.

Sometime this spring, my prayers concerning the issue were answered. I realized that homeschooling was what we needed to do for the moment. My heart and attitude had been changed. Kevin and I aren't signing on to homeschool K - 12th grade. We are going to take it year by year. I know people think I am crazy for doing this with two younger ones at home also. But to me, I think it is easier to homeschool than to have to drive 16 miles one way twice a day to take Eli to school with two younger ones in tow.

We are going along with Gilmer ISD school calendar since most of our church activities will revolve around the district's calendar. We have a four day school week and spend about an hour to an hour and a half on phonics, math, and Bible. For phonics, we are using Explode the Code. Saxton Math is our math curriculum. For Bible we are doing daily devotionals that he gets from Kids Klubhouse (children's church) and reading Egermeier's Bible Story Book.

So after all that explantation here are our pictures from Eli's first day of school!

Special First Day of School Muffins made especially for a red headed Kindergartner.

I must confess, this picture was taken the second day of school! I tried to get a picture of him by his books on the first day and he was not cooperating. I didn't want me forcing him to take a picture to ruin the first day so I didn't press the issue.

For lunch we went on a picnic in the back yard.

When Kevin came home, we blew up the pirate ship and the boys played.
I guess you could say Kevin was the PE teacher!

1 comment:

Ashley & Chuck said...

I laughed out loud at Kevin being the PE teacher. :) I'm glad Eli has enjoyed his first week of school. I'm sure you are a great teacher!