Monday, June 30, 2008

You Sure Have Your Hands Full

Anytime me and boys go out in public, I always hear "You sure have your hands full". I never really know what to say. I always just grin and say yes I do and then wonder why they made that comment. I know I have three kids under the age of 5 but I still think I am handling things pretty well considering. After hearing it a million times I have started to wonder if I really look that frazzled.

This past Friday when I was in Shreveport, I got to visit with my cousin Cheryl, who know lives in Ohio. Cheryl and I were talking about how strangers comment on kids and the different things they comment on. I told her that the "hands full" comment was probably the most popular comment that I get. Cheryl shared with me that she read how someone grew tired of hearing that comment and she has started saying to people "My you are very blessed." That hit a chord with me. I have been blessed with three sweet, precious boys. My hands aren't full, my cup runs over. So I decided then and there that my response to all those "hands full" comments would be "Yes I am very blessed".

After we all (my mom, sister, aunt, and two cousins) split up and went our separate ways, I had to run by LifeWay before I headed back home. We got what we needed in LifeWay and was loading everyone up in the van, and a lady came around the back of the van and said "Boy, you sure do have your hands full". My response "Yes, I am very blessed!" :)

3 comments:

Ashley & Chuck said...

You are very blessed indeed!

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of the boys! They are too precious!

Ashley & Chuck said...

Psalm 127:3-5, "Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."

Small comments like the one you hear on a frequent basis reveal more than we realize. I think that comment speaks of a larger symptom in our culture which is: Children are an inconvenience. The funny thing is I've never spoken with an older woman who, once her children were out of the home, wished she had chosen a corporate career over full-time motherhood, child care over mommy care. To the contrary, I've spoken with many mothers who wished they had traded that career (which was really just paying for child care and maybe a car payment) for more time with their children in their formative years.

Don't regret the lifestyle or choices you have made for one second! It will be revealed one day that you never really made a sacrifice because the reward was more than you could ever imagine. God bless our posterity!!

Chuck