Sunday, March 6, 2011

Good News

I haven't blogged in nearly a year. It's not that I didn't have anything to blog about. With four boys there are plenty of stories to tell. I just don't have time for blogging. But tonight something very news worthy happened. Here is the story in Kevin's words..............................



Exciting news from the Dickey house tonight! Our firstborn, Eli, has been born again! Let me share the story with you...

We came home from church tonight after a long weekend at the annual Dad-N-Lad camp out with the Cub Scouts. It is not unusual for conversations to turn to spiritual matters with Eli, but I could tell that tonight was different. We talked about sin, trusting in Jesus, and what it meant to be a Christian. The attached photo is of a 3"x5" note card on which he was drawing as we talked. If you look carefully, you'll see a dot where two paths divide. He said he had learned that at Kid's Choir, I assume from Mrs. Judy Moore and Mrs. Beth Camp (thank you ladies for your influence in his life). He said Jesus talked about two roads, one was the right way, the other wrong. Also with scriptural accuracy is the relative width of the roads! You'll notice on the narrow road to the left is a lit sign that says, "riht way". I won't apologize for this little saint's spelling, only explain that he is very phonetic. He said that road went to heaven. The other road, much wider, which he labeled with a "wrong way" sign (no lights), he claimed led to hell. He tried to spell it, I think confusing it with "hail" and wrote "Hali". I told him that each of us must decide which of these two paths we will walk, but unfortunately, there aren't any road signs. Jesus leads us on the right path to heaven, but the other path leads to destruction. I asked him how a person gets on the right path. By this time, he is having a difficult time talking as I can tell he is fighting back tears and a broken spirit. He wrote "Crichtin" [Christian] at the top. I asked him what that meant. He went on to draw the stick figure praying, then the arrow curving downward to the baptismal waters (just to the left of the "riht way" sign). I agreed this was all true, and we talked about how all of us are on the wide path leading to destruction, but not because God is mean or wants to hurt us. Rather, our own sin leads us down that road. It is when we decide we no longer want this road, seek forgiveness, turn around, and take the other road leading to Jesus that we find Him there waiting for us. We went on talking more about sin, all the while trying to make it personal, that Eli has this problem too. He knows John 3:16 by heart, so we discussed what that verse meant. When he understood that "all have sinned" from Romans 3:23 meant him, I asked him which road he was on. He quietly pointed to the broad one. "What do you need to do about that?" I asked. He pointed at the praying stick figure. Trying to make it all the more personal, I asked, "Tell me one person Jesus died for." He said, "He died for everybody." I insisted, "Tell me one person Jesus died for." His reply, "Everybody." Again, I quietly asked, "Tell me one person Jesus died for." With reddened face, no longer able to control the tears, he pointed at himself and whispered, "Me." That was all either of us could take (probably you by now too!). Weeping, he crawled up in my lap and prayed for forgiveness, sought repentance, and trusted the Savior. He couldn't talk for some time, but neither could I.



The little card is priceless to us tonight, and I know it will be for him in the coming years. How thankful I am that Jesus doesn't care how well you can spell or draw. He cares only about a tender heart that admits our greatest need and finds it met in Him.

5 comments:

Janée said...

That is the sweetest story y'all will have to tell from here on out! I know KEvin's and your hearts are melting! That was a very news worthy story! We are so excited! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

Oh Wow! I teared up too! Amazing! God is so wonderful! So happy for him!

Unknown said...

Secure and secure keep performs with inexpensive diablo 3 silver. Quick provide associated with Diablo 3 silver . Actually, this is the factor of Diablo 3 silver agriculture.

RS Gold  Buy Diablo 3 Gold   Buy Guild Wars 2 Gold

chengqi said...

"Oh definitely," she said. "I'm likely to South African on vacation after Christmas which is likely to be during my luggage without a doubt. It'll look so smart at night - I'm likely to wear prom dresses again and again."

And for that evening reception, Lily wore her red bridesmaid dresses yourself in some various ways - enjoying all of the different looks.

Ulrica said...

MMOSO.com offers Cheap Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Items for sale on all devices, buy D2R Ladder Items with Fast Delivery, Safe Payment, and 24/7 Online Chat.